Makes 16 servings
Bake: 28 minutes, Cool: 1 hour
- 2 boxes white cake mix
- 6 large egg whites
- 22/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons butter-flavor extract
- 1 can (21-ounce) strawberry pie filling
- 1 can (16-ounce) vanilla frosting
- 2 pints whipping cream, chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 9 whole trimmed strawberries, for garnish
1. In a very large mixing bowl combine cake mixes, egg whites, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and butter-flavor extract. Beat on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until well-blended.
2. Divide batter among four greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. (If you don’t have four pans, bake cakes in two batches).
3. Bake in a 350Åã oven for 28 to 31 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pans 15 minutes; cool completely on a wire rack.
4. Using a serrated knife, trim tops of three of the cakes to be as flat as possible (save one layer for another use). Place one layer on a serving platter. Spread with half of the pie filling. Top with half of the vanilla frosting. Top with another cake layer. Repeat layers of pie filling and frosting. Top with the third layer.
5. In a chilled bowl beat whipping cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Frost cake with whipped cream. Place remaining whipped cream in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe decoratively on sides and top of cake. Garnish top of cake with 9 whole strawberries. Chill until serving time.